Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I have a 65 pound lab that is strong as a horse. She will not let me cut her toe nails. Any suggestions?

I think positive reward is the best and I would work very slow with her, I wouldn't expect to trim all of her nails at one time and give her, her most favorite treat after each nail that she lets you clip with lots of verbal praise as well.(maybe just holding her paws and playing with her toes for first few sessions than try clipping her nails) I would find a position that seems to be most comfortable for both of you, sitting or lying down, on the floor or on the bed etc... I would also maybe try starting with the back feet, most dogs are less sensitive about their back feet than their front. The biggest thing is not to make it into a power struggle and to try and make it as positive as possible. Let her know who is boss, but also reward her for being a good girl and work up to getting all 4 paws done at once. If she is being really uncooperative, no treats and stop for that session come back to it when BOTH of you have had time to get over it. Hope this helps some!I have a 65 pound lab that is strong as a horse. She will not let me cut her toe nails. Any suggestions?
Dogs HATE getting their nails cut. WIth my little Terrier I bribe her with cheese...for every nail I cut she gets a little cheese but if this doesn;t work don't stress your dog with holding her down etc....take her to the vet and let them do it...its cheap and alot less stressful. They do it for a living. And besides, if you accidentally cut the quik it will bleed like crazy. WIth white nails as my dog has you can see the quik but with black nails its impossible.I have a 65 pound lab that is strong as a horse. She will not let me cut her toe nails. Any suggestions?
Most dogs do not particularly care for getting their nails done. Your vet staff should be able to do this for you. Also call groomers in your area, Some pet stores have groomers associated with them, and will take your dog there. They usually have very flexible schedules, not requiring appts, and are less expensive.
Have your vet do it. Many of them will if you make an appointment.
I also have a 60 pound Lab...and cutting her nails is really frustrating. They are long, and she's not too co-operative..The other suggestions here are all good advice. I've tried using a doggie nail file, which would be fine, if they weren't so long, and IF she would sit still long enough!


Taking her to the Vet, if nothing else works, is proabably really good advice..Good Luck
I have a 75 pond chocolate lab,and she doesnt care for the nail thing either.If your dog knows set,stay and shake you should be able to do it though.I tell her to set and stay,then shake,when she gives the paw hold it and try to trim,if she starts to move say no,and stay in a firm voice,it may take awhile for your dog to get used to it,but eventually they will let you trim the nails,you may have to correct a few times with the no and stay,but it will get the job done.
my lab is about that big too and we make him sit and give his paw...you may have to have someone help you hold his paw still...or u can try getting him on the floor. have someone help you...trust me doing it alone, your asking for a fight...but have someone lie on her as you cut her nails...my big guy was a pain at first but he has learned that he is not the boss. more of a big baby ...all bark no bite...good luck!
consult your vet first...the nails are part of a dog's natural defense, and she is probably not use to having her feed handled, too...or just have the vet do it. The vet has people to help hold her down, if necessary. If a dog gets exercise, and puts those nails to use, such as for digging, there shouldn't be a problem with nail length. I have 3 dogs, and have never needed to clip their nails. Of course, they all get to go outside, and have the chance to keep their toenails worn down naturally. They range in age from 2 years (pitbull) to 8 years (blue heeler X). The middle one is 7 years and a Saint Bernard X at 160 pounds, I wouldn't want to tackle her, but do think she would let me do her paws, if necessary. Teach them to shake is a good way to get them use to paw/feet handling. When mine shake, I always reward them with a puppy bone.

No comments:

Post a Comment